Wednesday 9 July 2014

The Agile PM Toolkit Series - Capacity Planning and Tracking Tool

Today I would like to share an excel sheet that I use for creating my capacity planning, Burn-up and Scope tracking. 

My colleague Angela Ferguson had shared her planning sheet with me (thanks Ange). Over the years I tweaked it for my needs and added my specific flavors to it. The attached excel sheet is my version of capacity planning and tracking.

At some point while using this sheet, I needed scope tracking sheet and hence added it. The burn-ups from tools were not effective as I wanted to add scope lines and other things so also added a burn-up sheet. In some projects I needed finger charts and also have another version with finger charts as well. Drop a comment if you need the one with finger charts.

I use this excel to determine the capacity of the team and hence the velocity. I also use this sheet for regular tracking of leaves and determining the utilization so I can plan better for future.

Instructions for using the excel sheet are mentioned in the "Read Me" sheet.

Please download it as "Excel" and not as a google doc. The formulae and formatting will ONLY work on excel. Feel free to change it as needed and share it with others.  Please drop your comments on how you find this tool. Let me know if it was easy or tough to use and understand the instructions.

Capacity Plan and Tracking



No comments:

Post a Comment